Monday, February 11, 2013

Quinoa Salad

Since finishing my fast a week ago, I have found that I felt so much more energized and full of life when my diet consisted of raw, all-natural foods. So I've been dabbling in the vegan life and have been finding some awesome (and delicious) recipes. I do feel the need to say that I am definitely not vegan. I have been enjoying having cheese, chocolate covered pretzels and frozen yogurt back in my life! 100% of anything is never a good thing. Balance is key. Right now I'm trying 80% vegan, 20% whatever I feel like. So far, so good! 

Once I saw this dish I knew I had to make it ASAP. Quinoa salad with avocado, cherry tomato, cucumber, garbanzo beans and a lemon Dijon vinaigrette. It was so delicious. Light, and full of flavor. Definitely will be making this a lot over summer.  The full recipe is here


As the recipe says to do, I soaked the quinoa for 15 minutes before cooking it. However, I used a can of chicken broth instead of vegetable broth because that's what I had in the pantry. I know it's not vegan, but it did taste delicious!


The food processor is my new best friend! In a few quick pulses, my spinach and cilantro were beautifully pureed. I also threw my onion and garlic in there. Definitely will be cutting back on my chopping thanks to this glorious machine!


Minced spinach, cilantro, onion and garlic combined with one can of rinsed garbanzo beans.


The recipe didn't call for it, but I added a cucumber and extra cherry tomatoes. I love my veggies!


Once the quinoa cooled, add to the salad and then add the vinaigrette.  


I added the avocado last because it's so delicate I didn't want it to mash from excessive mixing. 


The finished product! Light, bright and quite the party for your tongue.



No comments:

Post a Comment